Friday 10 September 2010

Earthquakes

So the Christchurch earthquake has obviously been in the news here, and it prompted a couple of interesting coffee time discussions the department.  The first was a have you ever felt an earthquake line, to which the kiwi responded of course, with a laugh. In fact the geologists from more sesimically active areas seem to get annoyed when people come up to them, knowing they're geologists and talking about the time they felt an earthquake.  It just happens a lot to some people.  I, myself, haven't felt one, I slept through the one that hit Oxford two and a half years ago.  I must remind myself not to be too excited amongst other geologists when I do finally feel one!!

The other cool thing about this quake is that it was on an undiscovered fault, no-one knew it was there because as the Christchurch is on river gravels, their was no surface expression.  I find that cool, there's still lots more to discover out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment